1. Financial Engineering Nets $12 billion – A gas pipeline company reorganized itself and created $12 billion of value overnight.
2. A Diablo 3 Story – How one Bulgarian guy made 100,000 Euros in a year via the Diablo 3 auction house.
3. The New USB is Almost Here – A new USB format is almost here. It will carry faster data and more power.
4. State of An Corp – The second ‘State of’ post of a UO private server I used to play on.
5. Yubari, Japan – A rapidly shrinking city shows whats in store for many cities in aging Japan and the West.
1. Why Hoboken is Throwing Away its School Laptops – Technology spending is largely a waste of money in US public schools.
2. Kale, Cauliflower, Cabbage, and Broccoli are all the Same Species – Who knew all of these veggies came from the same species?
3. Sprint Drops T-Mobile Bid – Stiff regulators lead to a missed opportunity to create a viable third choice for US cellular service.
4. The Past Present and Future of the CPU – a Brief overview of the past decade of Intel/AMD CPUs from a gamer perspective.
1. In Defense of the NYC Poor Door – Rent controls and construction restrictions are to blame for NYCs housing woes.
2. Unidan Gets Banned – A popular scientist on Reddit known as Unidan gets caught cheating the system.
3. NFL Height and Weight Over Time – NFL players are getting taller and heavier.
1. The Fermi Paradox – Why haven’t we encountered other intelligent life in our vast universe?
2. Vox on Guaranteed Income – The idea of a Basic Income has made a resurgence of late.
3. Google Buys Twitch – The long rumored buyout is now confirmed.
1. Umami: The Taste we Love but Can’t Describe – Why does a cheeseburger taste so good? Because its Umami!
2. Global Income Inequality is Falling – Contrary to popular belief, income inequality is falling. The world is getting flatter.
3. Funny Billboard in SF – Amusing Billboard in SF that claims a higher minimum wage will hasten technological unemployment.
4. 54% of People Now Live in Cities – I’m surprised the figure is so low. Up from 30% in 1950. The trend is set to continue.
1. We Can All be Estonian Now – Estonia has plans to sell its digital ID system to anyone in the world.
2. Bill Gate’s Favorite Business Book – I had never heard of ‘Business Adventures’ before. Just added to me to-read list.
3. American Man Claims African Kingdom – An American father found an interesting way to fulfill his daughter’s wish to be a princess.
1. New Era for Hollywood in China – Transformers does a bigger 5-day box office in China than the US.
2. The 26 Most American Comebacks – Happy 4th of July!
3. Dwarf Fortress Patch 0.40.01 – A new patch for a game I’ve been meaning to try.
1. The Top 500 Supercomputers – China keeps the #1 and there’s an overall slowdown in progress.
2. The Skyrocketing Popularity of the $100 Bill – Hoarded by criminals, it seems. Time to get rid of paper money.
3. The Case Against Belgium – The US is playing Belgium this week at the World Cup. Here’s a primer of the country.
4. The Living Minecraft – A wonderful little piece about the sense of quite discovery in video games.
1. Madness? This is Mosul! – 800 ISIS fighters rout 30,000 Iraqi soldiers in the battle for Mosul.
2. The Making of Star Fox – The story of how one of the first 3D console games was made.
1. Why NYC Has so Many Bank Branches – Turns out that’s where the money is. NYC has 21% of the nation’s deposits.
2. What Happens When Workers Wages Double – A court ruling causes casino worker wages in NYC to double.
3. Coin Operated Benches in China – Pay the meter or spikes shoot out from under the bench.